Skip navigation


Yesterday we went.  I drove to Critter Care, a wildlife rehabilitation in Langley. We gave them Hunter, a small, injured cottontail to rehabilitate, the term I viewed on the internet. Glad we did that. His left hind leg was hurt. It didn’t look broken. His left shoulder and underneath his belly had punctures and they looked infected. I suspect another animal of prey bit the small cottontail. I think the small cottontail was in that state for about a week or less.  We saw a white maggot drop from him/her. Another guess is when the flies and maggots smelled the blood, they laid eggs upon the rabbit.  I hope the rabbit is able to recover. If the vet sees that the injuries are very bad, the rabbit might have to be put down.

In my life I have never before viewed a small, cottontail as close up. Mostly I have viewed adult bigger rabbits. Mark didn’t think the animal was a rabbit, but I thought the animal was a rabbit.

I found Critter Care from the internet yesterday evening. There were only a few places to choose from. We had to find a place located close to Surrey. We had to walk home from the Serpentine sanctuary where we found the injured rabbit at about 4:30 p.m. Mark said he saw something on a pathway. He wasn’t sure what it was. He said, “Come over here. Look.” I kneeled down and saw a small animal with brown fur breathing and hiding underneath some brushes on a side path. I knew it was alive at least. Insects were hovering near it.

We looked for an office at the Serpentine who might help us, but we could not find any office. Usually we bike to places in Surrey.  This time we walked  to the Serpentine. We walked home. It took an hour. Yesterday I called during the afternoon to see who could take in rabbits to rehabilitate. Critter Care said yes. They were open until 8 p.m. It would have been too rushed on Sunday to find a place. Also, the day was turning into night. It is better for me  to find a place like Critter Care under descent lighting where can view it rather than figuring where it is in the dark.  Also not to rush. Was I glad to find a place that would accept him. The first place I called did not accept rabbits. The small cottontail needed to see a vet right away.

Critter Care is located near 216 Street and  in-between 8 – 4 Avenues, where all the farms are located. Driving south towards the Border on 216 Street, we viewed a lot of horses. Really was way  in the country.

Now I know at least one wildlife rehabilitation centre  in southern BC Canada—Critter Care.  I had no idea. I volunteer at the Surrey SPCA so it reminded me of that place. The place looked better than the SPCA in my p.o.v. in “the country” miles away from a town, very rural. The SPCA is located near farmlands near some small woods. Critter Care’s exterior  looked better.

Once my parents had a cat in Phoenix. I stayed with my parents during 95-97. I knew there was something wrong with a gray, male tabby. When I sat close to him, I smelled his breath: smelly meat or something like that, which is not normal.  Two weeks later, the cat was not acting normal. I do not remember that part very well: how the cat did not act normal. I would have to talk to my mother to recall. Anyhow, we, my mother and I drove the cat to a local veterinarian. She drove. I sat in the back with the cat in a box. We could have done an autopsy or tests on the cat, but it costs  money so we didn’t. The vet guessed the cat might have contacted one of the cat diseases. I told him about the cat’s breath smelling not good. A normal healthy cat’s breath does not smell like that. In all the years I have been around cats since I was 5 years old, I have never smelled a cat’s breath as smelly as that. We okayed the decision for the doctor to give this gray tabby a shot to put him down. I looked at the cat. He rested there. The young doctor injected the shot. It worked fast. He rested his head to the side and then slept. He died instantly. I did not want to see the cat suffer and die. It’s sad to see animals suffer like that.

Enclosed is a picture of “Hunter.” I took it before we left to take him/her to Critter Care yesterday afternoon around 3 p.m.

Mark wanted to name him “Dr. Hunter S. Thompson”  the full name, after the American writer Hunter S. Thompson if the rabbit was a male. The young guy at Critter Care chuckled when he Mark expressed the rabbit’s name.

We will call the Critter Care on Friday to find out about Hunter’s health progress.  I hope it is positive.  We shall see.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: